Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pasta with Chard and Tomatoes

This is a modified version of a recipe I received last week with my CSA box, which made use of several vegetables which I received in the box.  How thoughtful of them to provide me with recipes.  The greens cook down so much, I usually add any extra greens I can find in the frig - kale, spinach, etc.

I shared a link to this recipe at Just Another Meatless Monday at the blog Hey What for Dinner Mom? and My Meatless Mondays at the blog My Sweet and Savory and Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays at Midnight Maniac.


2 tablespoon olive oil
2 - 4 large shallots, minced
1 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch red chard (remove central rib and chop)
1 cup white wine
2 cups chopped Roma tomatoes
handful of Kalmata olives, chopped finely
1/2 cup vegatable stock
salt & pepper
red pepper flake
4 servings of pasta, cooked al dente (corn, kamut, rice, wheat ...)
parmesan cheese (optional)

In a large saute pan heat olive oil over medium high heat.  Add shallots and saute until soft and translucent, about 3 - 4 minutes.  Add mushrooms tossing to coat with oil and cook until browned and soft.  Add chard and toss until wilted.  Add the wine and bring to a simmer, scaping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.  Simmer until about half of the wine has cooked away.  Add tomatoes, olives, and stock and cook for 5 - 8 minutes, until tomatoes begin to soft and break down.  Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flake to taste. 

Serve over pasta and top with parmesan if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment